Mission Statement: To advance nurses engaged in the care of all travelers- both domestic and international- through professional development, evidence-based practice and advocacy.
- Serve as a primary professional resource for U.S. nurses who provide care to domestic and international travelers.
- Support the recognized U.S. specialty of travel health nursing and the widespread utilization of Travel Health Nursing: Scope and Standards of Practice.
- Support travel health nurses to keep current regarding recommendations and emerging travel health issues.
- Promote communication and networking among travel health nurses and other health professionals across North America.
- Partner with national and international organizations with a shared commitment to promote the health and safety of travelers through quality clinical care, education, research and advocacy.
ATHNA Strategic Plan for 2021-2022:
- Expand the Board of Directors to 12 members plus a non- voting Fellow representative.
- Disseminate widely to all stakeholders the official recognition of the specialty of travel health nursing by the American Nurses Association (ANA).
- Promote awareness and use of Travel Health Nursing: Scope and Standards of Practice, 1st edition.
- Engage the ATHNA BOD and Fellows to explore the development of a certification for travel health nursing consistent with U.S. standards utilizing a portfolio format.
- Establish a Communications Task Force that will explore options for a major revision of ATHNA's website and membership messaging capability.
- Establish an auto-registration process for ATHNA membership and renewals.
- Offer virtually 2021 NED sessions with CE accreditation and also survey members in preparation for developing the 2022 NED content and format.
- Revisit re-establishing membership dues.
- Implement and evaluate the new orientation and mentorship program for directors and officers.
- Increase ATHNA's advocacy role on the national and international level.
- Expand ATHNA investments beyond the money market account to generate additional funds.