On behalf of the officers and Board of Directors of the American Travel Health Nurses Association (ATHNA), we welcome your interest in membership.
ATHNA is the only professional association in North America representing nurses who seek to promote the growth and quality of travel health nursing practice, education and research.
Our mission is to advance nurses engaged in the care of domestic and international travelers through professional development, evidence based practice, and advocacy.
Free Membership Through June 2021
Now is a great time for you to join our professional association. ATHNA was founded in 2004 as a professional organization and during our ATHNA 3000 Strong Campaign we are offering FREE membership through June 2021 for any nurse who currently counsels patients who travel OR any nurse interested in learning more about travel health nursing. International nurses who practice travel health nursing and nursing students are welcome, too!
Across North America, many nurses provide care to domestic and international travelers and many others are interested in learning more about this interesting and important nursing specialty. CDC estimates that more than 25,000 nurses in the U.S. and Canada provide pre and post travel services to travelers. These services include: comprehensive risk analysis, traveler and trip assessment, immunizations, prevention counseling and post-trip illness management. Travel health nurses practice in a wide variety of settings including: college health, occupational health, primary care, public health, travel health clinics, and the military. In addition to clinical services, travel health nurses also function as consultants, administrators, educators, authors, and researchers.
As a professional organization, ATHNA serves to represent and support the interests of North American nurses who have a professional interest in travel health. With that goal in mind, in March 2020 ATHNA achieved official recognition for the specialty through the American Nurses Association. This was an historic and major milestone for the specialty. If you have any interest in travel health nursing, Join Us!
We are proud to state we have finally achieved one of our primary goals for travel health nursing: OFFICIAL SPECIALTY RECOGNITION BY THE AMERICAN NURSES ASSOCIATION.
ATHNA's remaining important goals for travel health nursing in 2020:
- Initiate exploration of cost-effective options for U.S. certification for travel health nurses
- Achieve or exceed the organizational goal of 3000 members, representing 10% of U.S. nurses who provide services to travelers
Your complimentary membership has no obligations, but many benefits, that include:
- Access to an annual schedule of CE programs relevant to our specialty
- TravelBytes blog on important topics in travel heath nursing
- ATHNA Book & Journal Club
- What's News- updated listing of clinical news relevant to travel health nurses
- Annual NED: Networking, Education and Development Conference. Sessions are held around the country each summer to provide easy access for a day of informal member interaction and professional development where CE credits can be earned.
- Eligible to participate in ATHNA research activities: currently we welcome your interest in the Student Travel Health Research collaboration with ATHNA, CDC, ISTM and ACHA
- Access to our CareerCenter where members can post openings and interest in new employment opportunities
No need to process a renewal at this time.
The ATHNA Board of Directors is pleased to extend all Annual Memberships through June 2021. During our ATHNA 3000 Strong Campaign, all current Annual Members will not need to renew their memberships. Please encourage your colleagues to join ATHNA! Thank you for your ongoing support of ATHNA as we strive to become 3000 Members Strong.